Tuesday 22 April 2008

Think I'd better follow you around

This past weekend, I took a trip to Halifax, to visit the University of King's College. I had never been to the maritimes before, so this was a pretty exciting trip. Also that I'd be looking at the place where I'd potentially live for the next four years, which is a pretty exciting thing as well.

The first thing we noticed was the jay-walking. There is lots of jay-walking in every city, but in Halifax, the cars will stop for you if they see you waiting by the side of the road for a break in traffic, thus creating your break. This goes in the "pro" column for Halifax.

As if King's doesn't have enough pros on its own. That school blows my mind. It's a small university, like I wanted, with a rich history, loads of traditions, a beautiful campus, amazing program, great student community... everything I want. Everything. They even do exchanges, and they have a killer improv team.

On my first night, I went to hang out with some friends of mine who go to King's. We had an animated movie night and watched Titan AE (Joss Whedon of Buffy and Firefly fame helped write it. Who knew?). I met a swedish bloke who reminds me quite a bit of the roommate from Notting Hill. Yes, the crazy welsh one. King's has all sorts of fun characters.

Side note: I'm actually pretty proud of myself for getting in to King's. I was accepted to the Journalism program, which lets in only 40 people every year. I was pretty sure I wouldn't make it, but stranger things have happened, so here I am. And it's a great program -- you get hired right away.

Well. My Concordia interview is on Friday, but King's is clearly winning right now. It's just hard, because it's so far away... I would see my family and old friends much less. I would see Ottawa much less. I have never lived anywhere else but Ottawa, in the house I'm in right now. Change is scary a little bit. I hope I'm up for it.

3 comments:

Loud said...

This continues the trend towards awesome people being in Halifax. As a future part-time Haligonian, I would like to say that it would be awesome to have you around

XUP said...

As a former Haligonian, I vote for King's. The weather in Halifax seriously sucks & the tuition is twice as high as everywhere else & accommodation prices around the university are outrageous & getting out of Halifax is often a nightmare -- because the weather sucks & flights are cancelled & sometimes they're just cancelled for the hell of it. However, Halifax is a funky little city with tons of bars & clubs & eateries & fun stuff to do -- not as much fun as Montreal, probably. Halifax will make you appreciate Ottawa more, though.

Anonymous said...

I wish to point out that I had also never left my house until I turned 17 - so I moved to my cousins, to Singapore, to my grandfather in Sweden and then to King's, back to my grandfather this summer and then to Uppsala for studies in the fall - and I love it! Change is scary, but also releasing, so I say go for it! And you never know who you might see around... *hint hint* ^^