Wednesday 11 February 2009

When people go

This week we started section 5 of FYP. Section FIVE. Out of 6! Only 6! I can't believe it. FYP has been flying past so quickly, and now, just when I feel like I'm grabbing on to programme, really sinking my teeth into things, it's almost over. It's February. FYP is over in April.

Last year I kept in loose contact with some of my friends who went away to university, and one of my friends who was here at King's in FYP would give me snapshots of his life from time to time. In the spring, I asked him how things were, what he was up to, and he bemoaned the end of FYP. "I can't figure out what to do next," he told me, "All FYP has taught me is that I want to do FYP for the rest of my life." I laughed. But now I get it.

Please? Can I do FYP for the rest of my life?

Well, apparently not. But I'm starting to get excited about next year, a little. Just a little. The second year J-school course "reporting techniques" is changing quite a bit, and then the upper year classes will change too, so I will get more electives in third year. I heard about this today when I introduced myself to the Rogers Chair of the J-school and we had a chat. I'm still a little bit in shock over the fact that I actually had the guts to go talk to him. He gave me some advice and was very friendly. Hmm, Evey. Maybe you should introduce yourself to more profs you want to talk to (Heller, Kirkaldy). They might be nice.

It's almost like I learned a life lesson today. Almost.

No comments: